Friday, June 7, 2013

Some Catching up before I throw you in the food processor!

So we are foster parents. We were licensed January 19th, 2013, the same date as our wonderful 1st placement was born. We got the call to take Z along with her 3 and 5 year old siblings on the 23rd. Being prudent parents, we didn't think it wise to go from 0 to 190mph in one fell swoop and told placement that we would be happy to take the newborn but thought we should wait a bit for "add water, instant family." Placement called us less than 12 hours later and asked us to take the newborn Z. We picked her up and have had her in house since the 24th!

A couple of days later, 15 to be exact, we got another call from placement wondering if we would take a newborn boy. I made the decision without consulting Lori to bring T into our lives. Born on February 6th, home with us straight from the hospital on the 8th, he seems to be a permanent placement. We were told Z was 100% not a permanent placement and T was 95% a sure thing so life is/was good....

OK, OK, enough about that... what I really wanted to blog about was baby food! So now the kiddos are 4.5 and 4 months old, starting to think about solid food. So here I am, trying to be all mother earth, natural as possible on a budget etc., etc., making our own baby food. YUCK!!! So can I just say I have had my fill of pureed foods recovering from gastric bypass, the mere thought of perfectly good food going through a food processor is revolting to me. All I can think about are the countless chicken breasts with BBQ sauce I endured while my stomach was healing, and to think I was about to offer up plain vegetables and fruits with NO seasoning to my little ones after being massacred in a food processor was despicable.
So rule #1 of making your own baby food: have a food processor that doesn't hate you. You laugh now, but many a food processor that is happy to oblige the chopped nut during the holiday calls it quits while masticating a squash.
rule #2: make baby foods you like. No, I'm not kidding. And I realize that I've experienced only half of it. But while blending your baby food, realize that you will have cooked that vegetable to a nearly unrecognizable mush, only to scoop it out and into a food processor which you will then blend into oblivion. After which, yes, you could use a spatula, but with all that time invested, you use your hands to mush into ice cube trays to freeze for later use and you inevitable lick you fingers. So make sure to make vegetables you like. I hate sweet potatoes, unless of course they are covered in cinnamon, brown sugar, marshmallows and/or sugared pecans but I just made 5 pounds of sweet potatoes into baby food, hence this post.

Bottom line; when making your own baby food, make what you like, otherwise buy that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment