So I am a female. As half of the population is. I have a question to all my sisters, why do we not share? Or is just me and how I was raised? I mean, I can't tell you how mortified I was when DW told her family I wouldn't be at some function or another because I was cramping. I grew up in a household where we just didn't discuss such things. Not to say my father hasn't on more than one occasion bought one of everything on that aisle in the grocery store. But we never talked about things of that nature.
So other than my sister, who was closed lipped about it, I thought I was alone. I believed the tampon ads that depicted happy girls dancing throughout their period. I said it, PERIOD. Wow, that was a bit liberating in and of itself. I know that most females have one, but to talk about it? NO, no, that's not allowed. I thought I was odd, being diagnosed with advanced endometriosis at 18, that to have one's period meant to wish death upon oneself. I thought I was weak, low pain tolerant and abnormal.
Why is at as women, we can only talk about things to other women after the fact. After the doctor has diagnosed do you find out half of your friends get where you are coming from. After you have a surgery do you feel the welcome arms of support from your sisters. I mean really, we have erectile dysfunction ads on prime time, so we can talk about that, but discussing normal female issues beyond you might perhaps need a tampon from time to time, is taboo?
I mean really, we all have the same parts, why isn't we talk about them the same as guys do? Why is it we have to Google search things in the dead of night? Why is it after the fact that someone mentions a great solution? Why are we so afraid of our own bodies?
I am 34 year old female who has had a hysterectomy, who tore and had an episiotomy. It hurts, no one warned me of the pain. Have had a bunch of solutions after the fact because no one wants to talk about it until you are part of the club. Wish all these thoughts and solutions had been told to me prior. I don't even know if anyone would have said them if I hadn't spoken up first.
For me at least, and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there, it would have been nice to know what dues were owed before joining the club. But I feel like being a female is much like fight club, the first rule is to not talk about fight club.
No comments:
Post a Comment